Friday, October 22, 2010

The Home Stretch

9 radiation treatments down.  One to go.  It's been a long week and I'm looking forward to my final treatment this afternoon.  The staff at the radiation center has been taking great care of me.  There is a team of people that work with me during each session and they are all really great.  We chat during all the prep time and our conversations always seem to turn to food.  Every time I leave the morning session (around 10:00 am) I am already thinking about what's for lunch.  

The sessions are going much faster now.  Everyone has the process down.  The earlier sessions took 2 plus hours.  Now we are down to 1 hour and 15 minutes or so.  I joked that when I came in today I could scan myself in the CT and hook myself up to the radiation machine.  Even though I am ready to conclude this part of the treatment, I will miss the staff there.  

Brad and my mom have also been taking great care of me.  Driving me back and forth to all the sessions.  Taking turns making dinners and preparing meals.  Brad has also been helping me do mock showers since I'm not allowed to get the device wet.  He's even washing my hair and blow drying and styling it.  His blow drying and styling skills have improved immensely over the last 2 weeks. 

In about an hour I leave for the last treatment.  Immediately following the last treatment they will take the device out.  I'm a little nervous about that.  I've heard mixed information from the staff about how people feel when they remove it.  Some take pain medication and some are fine without it.  So I'm leaning towards no medication and hoping for the best. 

I'll let you know how it all goes!  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment