Sunday, October 31, 2010

No Chemo!

Exactly 8 weeks after I was diagnosed with breast cancer we got the great news that I don't have to have chemotherapy.  Woo hoo!  The surgery went great.  Radiation went great.  And no chemo.  What more could we ask for?  Honestly, we feel so incredibly fortunate!

So what's next?  I will begin taking a medication called tamoxifen.  The type of cancer I had (yep, I am using the past tense) was estrogen receptive and tamoxifen specifically blocks the actions of estrogen.  The standard course of treatment on tamoxifen is a daily dose for 5 years.  This medication helps reduce the risk of recurrence.  There are some possible side effects...such as premenopausal side effects like hot flashes.  Please note the emphasis on "possible."  The doctor said some women take this medication and experience no side effects.  So I'm keeping my hopes high that I will fall into that group!  And Brad is too.  ;)

I will also have more frequent check ups, mammograms and periodic MRI's.  Essentially the doctors have all said that I will be watched like a hawk for the next 2 years.  I can handle that. 

Fred is officially dead!  I have enjoyed sharing my story with all of you through this blog.  Thanks to everyone who has been following the blog and who has reached out to us.  Your support through this process has been incredible and very touching to both Brad and me.  Though my story isn't completely over yet the updates on the blog will be less frequent.  If you are wondering how things are going and you don't see an update on the blog, feel to reach out to us directly. 

In the meantime if you want to follow another blog of mine that is much more light hearted, check out my food blog, The Ginger Snap Girl at http://thegingersnapgirl.blogspot.com/.

Until next time!   

No comments:

Post a Comment